The Challenge

This idea is wholly that of Jen's from her oh-so-inspiring blog, "A Year of Living Charitably". When I read her blog, I felt challenged to see if I could do what she and her family are doing this year, extending some charitable act each and every day.

Won't you join us?

PS - I'm not a daily blogger, so if you want daily, definitely read Jen's blog. This blog is mostly for my own amusement. If you are also amused, please check back every once in a while.


Thursday, January 15, 2009

Thinking Back to All the Little Things Already Done

So, I just learned about this today, and already half a month has gone by. So to start off, I'd like to just reflect on some of the charitable acts I've done so far this year. This post is really just for my own amusement - it is not particularly well written or interesting...

Wow, it's hard to remember. I was wanting to put them in some sort of order, but they just aren't coming to me that way.

Last Saturday I made sure to bring a tool with me to the dance studio to fix the door handle that has been broken for well over a month. Someone had replaced the "use other door" sign that morning, so I remembered right away to fix it. It was a little funny when the woman who had replaced the sign noticed it missing and called out in mild frustration - but she was so thankful when I told her it was no longer broken.

The week before that while I was getting a cart at Trader Joe's I noticed a man coming up to get a cart holding a toddler - so I got the cart turned around in the tight cart storage space and gave it to him. He seemed grateful to have one less thing to juggle.

A week ago Monday night I held another cookie training for all the troop cookie managers who hadn't been able to make it to one of the four trainings I had offered in December. I want to make this cookie sale the easiest so to date. Our Service Unit hasn't held cookie trainings in the past, but there is a lot of new information this year with a lot of changes, so I'm trying to be very flexible and thorough.

Holding doors open for people is just a way of life, but going out of our way to hold the door for someone juggling children and strollers and all the rest of it is something I really try to make a point of doing. Last Friday at the Boys & Girls Club a mom was approaching a nearby door pushing a stroller, holding the baby, and trying to keep hold of the toddler. I ran ahead to the door to get it for them. Not having children close in age, I can't even imagine trying to juggle all that and a heavy door!

I know there is so much more, but I'm just not coming up with them...

No comments:

Post a Comment