The Challenge

This idea is wholly that of Jen's from her oh-so-inspiring blog, "A Year of Living Charitably". When I read her blog, I felt challenged to see if I could do what she and her family are doing this year, extending some charitable act each and every day.

Won't you join us?

PS - I'm not a daily blogger, so if you want daily, definitely read Jen's blog. This blog is mostly for my own amusement. If you are also amused, please check back every once in a while.


Friday, January 30, 2009

Helping Connect

For the past year, I've been helping organize an group called Homeschool Central at the Boys & Girls Club of Corvallis. We opened in September and there are still lots of people who don't really know the other families, so we decided that a photo directory would be a good idea.

WHAT I DID:
I set up my camera and my computer to start compiling the directory today.

HOW LONG:
Off and on for about two hours today. I'll do that for a couple more times and then put the actual directory together, which will probably take no more than two additional hours.

IMPACT:
You know when you've been attending something for a while with the same people week to week and you either forget someone's name or just never knew it, but you've been talking with them weekly for months and are too embarrassed to ask? Or your kids have been attending an activity for months and want to invite that kid with the blonde hair to her birthday party (you know, the blonde girl!), but you aren't inviting everyone and don't want to deliver invites at the activity. Anyway, these are just two situations that the photo directory will relieve.

WORTH IT?

The whole reason we've been working on Homeschool Central is to help the diversity of homeschoolers in Corvallis connect. This will be one more tool to connect us all.

2 comments:

  1. Interesting thought using the BOys & Girls Club as a homeschool meetup spot. I wonder if our local B&G would allow that...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw you posted on another blog that you might give up posting about your charitable endeavors. OH, please don't! I think it's great that you're sharing and that you're ALREADY involved in your community! That makes you EXTRA busy, of course, but I think it's important that other realize volunteers really are what makes our communities pleasant, even wonderful. Keep up the great work! :)

    ReplyDelete